Thursday, May 22, 2014

Day 13 - Half day in Big Bear - 14 miles

Scott and I woke up in the hotel in Big Bear around 7, then met Leslie and Keith for breakfast. We went to the famous place all the hikers recommend. It don't disappoint. I had eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, and two pancakes. It was the first meal of the trip that I actually couldn't finish. After breakfast we said bye to the Canadians and headed for the bus stop to the grocery store. I ended up getting way too much food and spent about 60 bucks for what I thought was for 4 days worth. As soon as I had it all in my food bag I knew it was way too much. I need to get better at judging how much food I need. Oh well, I guess it's better to have too much than not enough. After the store we needed to hitch the 8 miles back to the trail. After only a few minutes, a lady picked us up who was there vacationing. Hitching is probably what I was most worried about before starting this hike, but the people so far have been so nice and make it easy. Once we hit the trail around 2pm we stomped out the first 10 miles pretty quick. After that we were looking for a spot to camp an came acros an awesome one that overlooked Big Bear Lake. Since we were at elevation it was really cold.  Already 36 degrees at 8pm. I'm not sure how cold it actually got, but well below freezing. Even though I was cold all night I slept like a baby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment